Introduction to Character Design (Online)
Online courses occur as a live session for 1.5 hours each week, during which time you will interact with your tutor, classmates and course content using in-built audio and video chat, instant messaging and the virtual work display area.
Character design involves creating a character and being able to give it life by contextualizing it in different situations, moods and events. Whether you are a student, beginner or professional who wishes to learn about character design, and regardless of your chosen media, this course will provide you with the skills and working methods to create satisfying and original characters...
Taught by: Shaun McGlinchey.
Character design involves creating a character and being able to give it life by contextualizing it in different situations, moods and events. Whether you are a student, beginner or professional who wishes to learn about character design, and regardless of your chosen media, this course will provide you with the skills and working methods to create satisfying and original characters.
- Fundamentals of Character Design
- Basic anatomy and construction
- Developing character personality
- Posture and implied movement
- Importance of silhouette
- Gesture and facial expressions
- The importance of contrast
- Introduction to Plastic Design
- Ageing the character
- Introduction to the turnaround
- Standard Production aspects
Although you can use a computer and software and create your characters, please note that this course will not teach you how to use software, but rather teach you hands-on drawing techniques and how to generate compelling ideas and designs.
At the end of this course you will have
- A clear understanding of character design principles
- Mastered a range of technical skills to create characters
- Developed the ability to create your own characters with confidence
- The ability to communicate your ideas visually
- Demonstrated a good understanding of what makes a good character in various contexts
Who is Introduction to Character Design (Online) for
This course is excellent for anyone wishing to learn how to create and develop a character whether for comics, illustration, animation, games or advertising.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here:
Please bring with you to the first session:
- HB or B pencils
- Prismacolour "Col-Erase" light blue pencils (http://www.chromacolour.co.uk)
- A4 photocopy paper or equivalent (at least 30 sheets per session)
- Pencil Sharpener
- Kneadable eraser