Bag design is one of the most exciting areas of the fashion market at the moment and this course will inspire all those who love handbags. The course will guide students through the process of researching concepts, designing and developing their final ideas...
Taught by: Kamran Sarwar, Chandrakala Doshi.
Bag design is one of the most exciting areas of the fashion market at the moment and this course will inspire all those who love handbags. The course will guide students through the process of researching concepts, designing and developing their final ideas. Technician help will be available.
Topics covered include:
- investigating suitable fabric and fittings
- cutting from a pattern
- an introduction to basic sewing skills on industrial machines
Students should arrive with a selection of ideas for their designs (e.g. pictures, colours, textures, fabric samples) on the first day, and should budget £15 to £45 for the materials for their bag.
Students are expected to have good English language communication skills to understand important technical information for using specialist machinery. They will have to share sewing machines for the duration of the course in the studio.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Chandrakala Doshi has been working in the trade for the last 39 years, of which the last 12 years have been in the teaching industry. She has worked with colleges such as the Royal College of Art and Central Saint Martins at both BA and MA level.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Some bag drawings
- A selection of fabric samples - these could be any kind of inspirational materials such as suede, fine leather, wool, cotton, poly-cotton, courdroy, denim (Please do not bring any type of stretch fabrics or lycra.)
- Fabric & Paper Scissors
- 30cm Ruler, Set Square or Pattern Master
- Sketchbook & Drawing materials
- Pins, Tracing Wheel & Quick Unpick
- Measuring Tape & Clear Tape