Furniture Design For Beginners (Online)
Online courses occur as 1.5 hour live sessions, during which time you will interact with your tutor, classmates and course content using in-built audio and video chat, instant messaging and the virtual work display area.
This intense, modern furniture design course offers you the perfect opportunity to practice the leap between ideas and three dimensional reality; you will experiment with ideation and learn how to take your concepts forward, and learn the practical and technical skills to test, model, realise and present your designs professionally...
Taught by: Rock Galpin.
This intense, modern furniture design course offers you the perfect opportunity to practice the leap between ideas and three dimensional reality; you will experiment with ideation and learn how to take your concepts forward, and learn the practical and technical skills to test, model, realise and present your designs professionally. This could be the start of a journey to a successful degree application, or your own professional practice.
Click here to view the introductory video
- Introduction to the history of furniture design
- Learning the design process
- Understanding the client
- Brainstorming and research techniques
- Ideation and concept development
- Sketch modelling and presentation models
- Working with human measurement and ergonomics
- Material opportunities, constraints and making
- Technical production drawing
"The course was intensive and set us up well to complete the final designs and models. Rock created a comfortable atmosphere for us to share our work, not easy online. I have taken so much away from this course"
- Belle, former student
By the end of the course you will have;
- Produced a user profile board
- Learned how to feed findings from your research into your designs
- Presented concepts to the client/developing client relations
- Developed a range of drawing techniques and technical skills>
- Learned how to communicate your designs effectively in 2D and 3D
- Produced a finsihed scaled model of your design
- Presented your finished design to the group for appraisal
Who is Furniture Design for Beginners (Online) for?
The course is perfect for new designers, students looking to improve their portfolio, or professionals wanting to revisit the basics, get a fresh perspective and learn new techniques.
About CSM Online courses
Studying online means you can experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all courses include;
- Live lessons with an expert
- Practical assignments
- VLE with course content
- 3 months online access
- Lesson recordings
- Personal feedback
- Forums for support
- CSM certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Trained with 7 years design education, finishing at Central Saint Martins with an MA Industrial Design, Rock Galpin has set up a number of design companies including his current practice, Rock Galpin Studio, specialising in product and furniture design, founded in 2005, originating from Studio Orange, which he founded in 1995.
Rock has won a number of awards for his designs including The Laurent Perrier Design Award in 2005 and has been featured throughout the world in the press and TV alike.
Rock's clients include; Aram, Authentics, Boss Design, Frem, Diageo, Bartle Bogle & Hergarty, Covo, Candy & Candy, Connection Seating, Designers Guild, Heals, Purves & Purves, Weber Shandwick, Hill & Knowlton and Channel 4, The British Council, Conran Shop, Geoffrey Drayton, Bacardi Global Brands, Ogilvy & Mather, Saatchi & Saatchi. In addition, Rock's own brand collection of design/supply furniture supplies to several architects and interior designers such as BDP, Swanke Hayden Connell, Featherstone Young and Waugh Thistleton.
Combined with his studio practice, Rock Galpin has also taught on the BA Product Design course for over 20 years and is a mentor on MA Industrial Design and is one of the original short course tutors now running seven short courses/online courses in furniture and product design at Central Saint Martins.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
Please bring to your first session:
- Black ink pen
- A4 Sketchbook
- Scissors, scape knife, cutting mat, and metal safety ruler
- Glue stick and PVA glue
- A3 tracing paper and A3 white cartridge paper
- A camera (any sort, a camera phone is fine)
- Modelling board, A4 size x 2 sheets
- Cartridge paper, A4 size x 4 sheets
To complete your projects further materials are usually required, which will depend on your ideas for your projects.