The Materials and Products Collection is a collection of new and innovative materials that represent current trends in design and manufacturing.
It contains a range of resources to help research materials and processes, including suppliers and manufacturers catalogues, key reference books, magazines and online resources.
The Collection is a reference only, self-service resource and you can access it whenever the CSM Library is open.
Information on Library opening hours.
The Materials Collection Co-ordinator visits trade fairs and attends specialist conferences and events throughout the UK and EU. She also liaises directly with manufacturers to ensure the collection has a current selection of materials and processes to inspire and inform.
Samples are grouped by material family e.g. metal, wood, plastic, paper, foam, textiles, glass. Each sample includes a label with the name of the material and manufacturers' contact details. Samples are continually updated throughout the year.
Catalogues are arranged alphabetically by subject area. A small selection of reference books is also kept in the collection and additional books can be found in the library.
How to start using the collection:
- Materials, catalogues and books are for reference only.
- Photography is allowed.
- The materials are displayed in such a way that they can be handled.
- Contact information is provided for each sample. Make sure you take down the details if you want to find out more information.
- You can scan or copy any of the literature but please replace the catalogues in the correct folders.
- Write down the article/quality/reference number of the material yo are interested in if it has one.
The Materials Collection Co-ordinator can provide help and advice in using this collection to research materials and processes. However we do not source materials or processes directly for individual staff, students or visitors.
The Materials Co-ordinator can provide inductions to the collection for individuals and for groups of staff and students at UAL.