Teaching Maths and Art
Find ways to raise student attainment and embed maths into your art and design lesson plans and teaching.
Through presentations, exercises, discussions and reflection, you will be guided through a range of strategies and techniques to support your students with the development of their mathematical skills. Our facilitators will help you to deliver creative and innovative student outcomes while addressing the STEAM agenda for Ofsted.
Read facilitator Derek Johnson's article on embedding maths in art and design teaching on our blog.
- Identify the specific mathematical skills required by students to succeed in their chosen area of study
- Discover ways to incorporate and embed relevant mathematical skills within the course(s) you are teaching
- Explore how you might build your students’ confidence when applying their mathematical skills by using scenarios from their everyday study
- Identify the maths that you are already using in your teaching and discover how this can be flagged, formalised and reinforced to meet Ofsted’s agenda
- Gain understanding of the topics studied by students in Foundation Maths (Functional Skills and GCSE)
- Devise and share suggestions of how maths might be used as the starting point for art and design projects back in the classroom
- Develop a written ‘Embedding Maths’ plan that addresses the needs of your individual courses or students
- How to reflect on your own learning, apply your findings in your teaching, and measure impact.
Both Derek and Elise were very engaging and clearly disseminated some great ideas for embedding maths.
Who should attend?
Ideal for those who teach art and design qualifications at the following levels:
- AS Level
- A Level
- UAL Awarding Body (Levels 1-3)
All levels of expertise and specialism are welcome.
About the facilitators
Learn more about Elise and Derek, two of our excellent facilitators.
Teacher of Mathematics and Art & Design at Exeter College, Elise has degrees in both Mathematics and Ceramic Design and is an alumnus of Central Saint Martins. She is also a practicing designer-maker, selling and exhibiting ceramics and jewellery.
Elise features in the Ofsted ‘Achieving Success’ video suite on the Ofsted website, discussing Exeter College's successful approach to teaching mathematics to students studying creative disciplines.
Derek is Director of West Suffolk College’s School of Art and Design; a school with over 400 students and outstanding success rates across its level 1-4 and degree programmes. He has worked in creative education (both FE and HE) for over 20 years, specialising in drawing, photography and mixed-media illustration work.
Derek mentors MA students in the Business School at Middlesex University and has previously worked as an External Verifier for Functional Skills. The Art School he manages has developed an annual MARS (Maths, Art, Religion and Science) Award, which has been highlighted as being outstanding and innovative.
There are currently no dates available for this course. Please email email@example.com to register your interest for future dates.
Need an invoice?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org