Introduction to Curation (Online)
The course provides a basic understanding of the discourse and terminology surrounding the curation of contemporary art. You will study the role of the independent curator and how it came to be what it is today, through examples of seminal exhibitions and reading of exhibition critiques and theoretical texts...
Taught by: Ma'ayan Shelef.
The course provides a basic understanding of the discourse and terminology surrounding the curation of contemporary art. You will study the role of the independent curator and how it came to be what it is today, through examples of seminal exhibitions and reading of exhibition critiques and theoretical texts. You will learn the essential ideas and tools involved in the practice of curating, and how to plan an exhibition step by step. The course will question the changes to the role of the curator, that are resulting from multi-disciplinarily, blurring boundaries and the falling of hierarchies. A special focus will be given to curating ephemeral and time based art such as the moving image, performance and new media, and how they touch upon critical, political and social ideas in contemporary art discourse.
The course will include weekly assignments of reading, writing and research. You will also develop individual exhibition proposals, and the content of the course may alter to best fit ideas being generated in the class
- Curating as a montage, and the relations between context and form
- The role and practice of the independent curator
- The rise and the demise of the white cube
- Fractures in the white cube: participation, performance, and capitalism
- Curating the moving image
- How to write a curatorial concept and develop it towards an exhibition
- How to work with artists
- How to think of an exhibition space
- Production and budget aspects
By the end of the course you will have;
- Learnt what the practice of curating entails, and what are the major issues and challenges that a contemporary curator tackles.
- Developed the ability to untangle some of the complexities and mysteries behind role of a curator
- Become familiar with the milestones in the contemporary history of exhibition making
- Developed confidence in the various stages of curatorial practice and thoughts
- Produced an exhibition proposal that can be sent to institutions or produced independently
- Received feedback on your proposal from your tutor and peers, according to your needs and interests
Who is Introduction to Curation (Online) for
The course is beginner level, but an understanding (and love) of contemporary art is essential. Young curators, artists, designers, writers, activists, or other creative practitioners who are involved or want to be involved with curatorial practice will benefit from the course, as will anyone who wants to learn more about this sought after profession.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and over
Why choose a Chelsea College of Arts Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Chelsea College wherever you are in the world. Additionally all Chelsea Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- Chelsea College Certificate upon completion
Further details about the Online Short Courses on offer at Chelsea college of Arts can be found here
Please note that the course will be taught in UK time. To check and compare times click here
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions
Details for booking
Alternative Dates and Times
If no dates are showing then please 'Enquire about this course' using the link below and we will contact you when new dates are published.