UAL Staff Benefits
Find out more about staff benefits
Generous annual leave
All staff at UAL receive a minimum of 31 days annual leave (pro rata for part-time staff) on top of bank and national holidays. This increases for senior staff and managers, and an extra day of leave can be offered as discretionary bonus for high achieving staff.
Defined benefit pension schemes
All employees with a contract longer than 12 weeks can join one of the 3 benefit pension schemes at UAL. These offer competitive rates and some offer life cover payouts.
UAL is keen to allow staff to have flexible contracts whenever their role allows. Current systems include flexi-time, condensed hours, altered start/finish times and home-working.
All staff can access the statutory requirements for maternity and adoption leave, but UAL offers enhanced rates for staff who have been with us for over a year. Additionally, the paternity package offered is more generous than the statutory requirement. UAL supports a shared parental leave scheme, and staff can take unpaid leave of up to 18 weeks as part of our parental leave policy.
Childcare Voucher Scheme
The Childcare Voucher Scheme can help staff save more than £1,000 a year on childcare costs. The scheme, run by Computershare Voucher Services, can help you save money regardless of your tax bracket. You simply exchange some of your monthly salary for the same amount in childcare vouchers. You save money because the value of the voucher is tax-free and exempt from National Insurance charges. What's more, both working parents can request childcare vouchers.
Even though you may be off work during the school holidays, you may still want or need childcare during this time. You can use vouchers to pay for before and after school clubs, as well as nannies, childminders, nurseries, au pairs, holiday schemes, summer camps and more.
Interest-free season ticket loan
Interest-free loans are available to help staff buy an annual season ticket for their journey to and from work. This includes rail, London Underground, bus or other season tickets with a recognised transport operator. Employees can apply for this benefit when they have completed their probationary period.
- Quiet spaces. Each UAL site is equipped with a minimum of 1 quiet space that staff can use for prayer, health reasons or personal reflection.
- Corporate discounts at a number of gyms and fitness centres across London are available to all UAL employees, including Pure Gym, Better Health and Fitness and FRAME classes.
- Free eye test, discounts on glasses, and a free pair of single vision glasses are offered for all staff with Specsavers.
- Discounts on private healthcare insurance with Bupa Educare or AXA Healthcare.
- Cycle to Work scheme means you don’t pay tax on the cost of your bike and pay it in instalments out of your monthly pay cheque.
- Sick pay is offered above the statutory requirements. As a minimum, staff are offered 1 month full pay, 2 months half pay in their first year; 3 months full pay, 3 months half pay in their second year; 4 months full pay, 4 months half pay in their third year; and 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay in all consecutive years. On top of this, to promote a healthy work life balance, if you fall ill during time you’ve booked off work, our policy is to take it as sick pay, so you don’t have to lose your holiday allowance.
- Confidential Care is a counselling service available to all staff at UAL. It can be accessed online or over the phone and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, covering any issue that may be affecting you.
UAL aims to do everything it can to support your professional development and offers a range of courses and benefits to aid this.
- Staff development courses: UAL offers internally run courses covering work-related skills. All staff can book onto these for free with their line manager's approval.
- Staff development festivals and conferences: UAL invests in all its staff and puts on conferences, activities and development festivals for staff in all areas.
- Opportunity for further study: All of the Colleges have funds which staff can apply for, to cover the costs of educational funding.
- Exceed workshops: The exceed programme runs one-off activities in a range of creative activities to give staff a taste of what goes on in different areas at UAL.
- Discounted short courses for all UAL staff.
- Funding for external events: All of the Colleges have funds that staff can apply for to cover the costs of external events, such as relevant conferences or research events.
- Communities of Practise: These are groups within the university that allow staff to network, disseminate knowledge and share good practise. They can focus on a discipline, subject area, job role or even just a shared interest. New staff can join an existing group or request funding to start a new one. UAL financially supports the groups by funding events, hiring external speakers or support.
Free places on UAL Short Courses
UAL offers a very extensive range of short courses at each College, which UAL staff can attend for free, or heavily subsidised, subject to availability. Find out more about our range of short courses.
Excellent introduction to the world of ceramics. Amy is a thoughtful lecturer who gently encourages you to explore your creativity whilst ensuring you have the knowledge and skill base to have a comprehensive collection at the end of the course – it’s a lot of fun too!
- Martin Foard, a Finance Administrator, discussing his place on the Ceramics Open Studio course.
A rewarding environment
UAL promotes a culture in which hard work and commitment of staff is rewarded - from extra days holiday being awarded by a line manager, accessible opportunity to progress along spine points, to our loyalty scheme offering a financial reward to long-serving staff.