Sexual Assault and Violence

If you have experienced rape or sexual assault we recognise it can be difficult to speak about what happened and how it has affected you, but we would encourage you to talk to someone and seek support.

Please remember

  • It was not your fault.
  • What happens next is your choice.
  • You can access support and information from the UAL Counselling Service or ‘Tell Someone’ team. We will listen to you and help you to make informed choices.
  • You can choose to report directly to the Police.
  • You can access independent support from Rape Crisis or Survivors UK.

UAL Counselling

The University Counselling service offers free, one-to-one confidential counselling for students. If you have experienced rape, sexual assault or violence you can speak to a Counsellor, who will listen and support you.  You can contact the Counselling service on the details below:

020 7514 6251 email

Visit the UAL Counselling page for more information

Reporting rape and sexual assault

You can report to the university and / or to the Police.

In an emergency, call 999.

You can find out about reporting to the police on the Rape Crisis website. Should you choose to report to the police, the university will take steps to protect your safety and ensure you have access to appropriate support throughout the course of an investigation.

UAL takes all disclosures of sexual harassment and assault seriously. You can report an incident to the University’s ‘Tell Someone’ team. Staff will listen to you, help you to access support, and explain how internal investigation procedures work. Contact for more information.

You can access independent advice and guidance on University procedures through the Students’ Union Advice Service:

Independent support services

There are a number of external services who provide support and advice for people who have experienced rape or sexual assault. These services are totally independent from the University.

  • Rape Crisis National Helpline - A helpline for female survivors of rape and sexual abuse, open every day between 12.00- 14.30 and 19.00- 21.30 and then additionally 15.00 - 17.30 Monday to Friday. Call 0808 802 999 or visit for more information.
  • Rape Crisis - Rape Crisis provides information on how to get help if you've experienced rape, child sexual abuse and/or any kind of sexual violence, and details of your nearest Rape Crisis services. Visit for more information.
  • The Havens Centres - The Havens are specialist centres in London for people who have been raped or sexually assault. For urgent advice / appointments call 020 3299 6900 or visit for more information.
  • Survivors UK - Survivors UK support for male survivors of rape and sexual abuse. Visit for more information.

Independent domestic violence support services

You don’t have to wait for an emergency situation to seek help.

You can

  • Talk to your doctor.
  • Women can call 0808 2000 247, the free 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline
  • Men can call the Men's Advice Line free on 0808 801 0327 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm) or ManKind on 01823 334 244
  • Galop provides support to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people experiencing domestic violence.
  • Anyone who needs confidential help with their own abusive behaviour can contact Respect on their free helpline on 0808 802 4040.