Equality Law and Reports
Find out below about UAL's commitment to staff and students who are defined as having 'protected characteristics'.
The Equality Act 2010 defines the following characteristics:
- caring responsibilities (Maternity and Pregnancy)
- religion and belief
- sexual orientation (includes Marriage and Civil Partnership)
- socio-economic class
UAL's strategic Equality, Diversity and Inclusion objectives for 2015-18:
- Narrow differentials in participation, retention and attainment between students of low/ high socio-economic backgrounds and BAME / white ethnic groups.
- Improve the representation of staff from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, particularly in academic, technical and senior roles
- Ensure that where required workplace adjustments for disabled staff are implemented within 8 weeks (subject to building works)
UAL's specific duties, under the PSED:
The University has three Specific Duties, namely to:
- Publish equality information
- Prepare and publish equality objectives
- Publish accessible equality information and objectives
HEIs must publish information and equality objective(s) in a manner that is accessible to the public. UAL's Equality and Diversity Progress Reports are published below.
Our obligation under the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) - General Duty, is to:
- End unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010
- Foster good relations between people from different groups. This involves tackling prejudice and promoting understanding between people from different groups.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people from different groups. This involves considering the need to:
- remove or minimise disadvantages suffered by people due to their protected characteristics
- meet the needs of people with protected characteristics
- encourage people with protected characteristics to take part in public life, and in other activities where their participation is low.
Read our reports
UAL Equality and Diversity Report 2015
The Equality and Diversity Framework Progress Report 2015 includes staff and student data analysis for the 2014/15 academic year.
It was approved by Executive Board on 6 May 2015 and Governors' Personnel Committee on 11 June 2015.
UAL Equality and Diversity Report 2014
The Equality and Diversity Framework Progress Report 2014 was approved by Executive Board on 28 May 2014 and Governors' Personnel Committee on 28 May 2014.
This report includes staff and student data analysis for the 2013/14 academic year.